November, December and January are three months of the year where one's usual routine (including all important exercise) is disrupted by much eating, drinking and general holiday merriment. If you're living in the Northern hemisphere snow and wet weather may also stop you from getting out and active (who wants to exercise when you can curl up on the couch with a hot drink and watch Netflix instead?). Here at Skorpion we value exercise - it really is great for mind and body - so here are our five top tips for workout motivation this holiday season.
1. Buddy up. You won't be the only person who is struggling to exercise during the holiday season so buddy up with a friend and work out together. Mutual accountability will help both of you stay on track.
2. Set a goal. Regardless of the time of year, a goal always helps one stay motivated. For some time away from the office over the holiday season is the ideal opportunity to achieve a big goal like training for a marathon for others somehting small like being able to perform 100 sit ups is an achiveable goal.
3. Walk / cycle / skates instead of driving. We all know that driving is very convenient but consider a more active mode of transport this holiday season. Of course, we think Skorpions are the clear winner here: faster than walking plus you can take them off and carry them around when you get to your destination (try doing that with a bicycle!).
4. Get a pedometer, and use it. Using a pedometer has shown to increase people's activity - we all thrive on a personal challenge and being able to actively measure progress. You'll be surprised how many steps you can accumulate Christmas shopping.
5. Try something new. The holiday season is the perfect time to try a new activity. Think yoga, archery, rock climbing, surfing, golf, dancing, roller skating...the posibilities are virtually endless.
Don't use the holiday season as an excuse to sit around and do nothing; get out and get active.